about 2 quarts
1/4 lb. chicken fat*
2 cups flour
1½ tsp. white pepper, plus more for seasoning
2½ quarts chicken stock
7½ lbs. cucumbers, peeled
1 stick unsalted butter
3 yellow onions, diced
½ cup granulated sugar
3 bunches parsley, chopped
1 cup lemon juice
Salt to taste
½ cup sour cream
• Make a roux: In a large stock pot, melt the chicken fat. Whisk in the flour and white pepper and cook until it is blond. Whisk in the chicken stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
• Chop the cucumbers into fine pieces using a food processor.
• In a large pot with a lid, melt the butter over low heat. Add the onions and cover. Sweat the onions until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the cucumbers and sugar. Simmer for 1 hour.
• Cool both mixes, then combine them.
• Blend the parsley and lemon juice and add to the cucumber-roux mix.
• Purée the soup in a food processor.
• Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
• Just before serving, stir in the sour cream.
*can substitute a stick of butter
Adalaide Balaban and Selina Ford